Case Sizing & Lubricating
Case sizing involves using the Co-Ax® Press to insert a cartridge case into the interior of a resizing die; the die’s interior is slightly larger than a new cartridge case. This re-sizing process returns the fired case to a size that will always allow it to fit back into a minimum-sized SAAMI chamber.
- Select a Reloading Die – Choose the correct die that will help you achieve the best results. Forster Products manufactures three types of Bench Rest® sizing dies:
- Lube the Brass – This crucial step prevents cases from getting stuck in the reloading die. The best method is to lube each case with an oil-based lubricant, with your fingers. Too much lube is as troublesome as inadequate lube.
- Resize and Deprime the Brass – Squeezes the cartridge case down to a smaller dimension, deprimes (remove the spent primer) and may expand the internal dimension of the case neck.
As you become more proficient in reloading, you will fine-tune your own process based on your tools/equipment, the type of shooting you do, the guns you reload for and the goals you have for your handloaded ammunition. We suggest that you continue to read, learn and understand various methods so that you can find the system that works best for your needs.
Safety - Please follow all pertinent safety procedures such as wearing safety glasses; being in a well-lit and well-ventilated workspace without flames, sparks or static electricity; and having all reloading tools in top working condition.
Suggested Further Reading
- Designing and Forming Custom Cartridges for Rifles and Handguns, Ken Howell
- NRA Firearms Sourcebook: Your Ultimate Guide to Guns, Ballistics, and Shooting, Michael E Bussard and Stanton L. Wormley Jr.
- Rifle Round Reloading Guide , Kevin Wilson
- Shooter’s Bible Guide to Handloading: a Comprehensive Reference for Responsible and Reliable Reloading, Wayne van Zwoll
- Squashing Brass: The Basics of Resizing Rifle and Pistol Cartridge Cases, Tom McHale
Need help picking the right product?
Search by caliber number or name to find the corresponding Forster Products.